Sunday, June 1, 2008

Background and Introduction

I created this blog to provide a narrative journey of the design, planning, and construction of a small home built using organic design and natural building principles.

For as long as I can remember (I'm 47 as I write this) I've been attracted to homes built with organic, flowing shapes. I've been inspired by the adobe homes of the southwest, the fanciful homes pictured in artist Roger Dean's book "Views" (you can see examples of Roger's current designs on his website), and even Luke Skywalkers home on Star Wars :-).

I've also had an interest in homes built either partially or completely underground. A year or so ago, I ran across the EarthShip web site. The EarthShip site inspired me to begin researching natural and earth friendly building techniques.

That's when I ran across Cob. I wasn't familiar with the term and did some research to find out about it. Several books and a lot of reading on the web have convinced me to try it out myself. That's what this journey will be about.

No comments: