Monday, July 7, 2008

Beginnings of My Solar PV System

Contrary to my earlier plans, I went ahead and bought a couple of solar photovoltaic panel "kits" and an AC inverter at Harbor Freight Tools this weekend. Each kit contains 3 15 watt amorphous solar panels, a DC Controller, and a couple of 12v Compact Flourescent lights. These kits were on sale for $179 each. The panels, at roughly $4 per watt, are are a cost effective alternative to silicon solar panels, which are usually 6-7 dollars per watt.



Amorphous solar panels, from what I've read, work better than silicon solar panels when partially shaded - as my cob house will be in partial shade in early morning hours. These panels are also reputed to be more resistant to damage from hail or even bullet holes (I don't plan to be shooting any bullets at them though ;-) ). The downside to this type of panels is that they are a little larger than equivalent wattage silicon panels.

Next, I will be looking to purchase a Morningstar SunSaver Solar PV Charge Controller and a battery bank, and I'll have a minimally complete starter solar PV system.

At 90w total output, this array won't be enough for my eventual needs, but it will do for starters, and I might double the number of panels at some point.

I intend to install these panels on the roof of the current "stick-built" cabin so I can run a couple of small appliances, fans, and lights at nighttime. I probably won't visit my property again until September when it starts to cool off a bit, so I've got a little time to shop for the batteries I'll need.

No comments: