Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Realities pt. 2

So as I intimated in my last post, my idea to build a natural house on this property is a dream that my wife doesn't share. I wonder if I'm asking for trouble to contemplate it without her being more involved?

It's not that she's not supportive of my dream, she is, up to a certain point. But she'd rather us focus on building a retirement home in a place more suited to our eventual retirement. We'd both love a wooded property with rugged rocks and a stream, ideally close to the mountains and in a cooler climate. This doesn't describe Texas, or anyplace we can drive to for a weekend retreat.

But building a home on this property is a dream I've had for at least 30 years, and now that my father has passed the property down, I've been visiting more and have rediscovered my love for it.

So my continued planning must focus on what I can realistically achieve - mostly on my own, although I think my 10 year old son, Jared, will be a big help as well. It may be that rather than a year long project, it is more like two or even three years.

1 comment:

Takara Friends said...

I recently moved back onto my childhood property as well, and plan to build a cob house. My father finds the idea " unrealistic", but I do not think that it is because he truely doubts the nature of this style of building, I think it is just simply a lifetime of seeing other building types and having it implanted in his brain that normal little box houses are what people build because it is best.

I have not read your whole blog, so I am not sure where you are at with this project as of yet, but I think you have to go for it, and your wife will be pleasantly surprised and proud of you in the end.